Imposter

This has not been a terribly exciting week. I'm in Sioux Falls, I'm a little limited on my funds (and available friends) and for that matter, I'm feeling oddly agoraphobic.

Blame the summer spent surrounded by people all. the. time.

In any case, I haven't quite accomplished as much as I would have liked. There's been a fair bit of reading and I've spent a fair bit of time trying to convince myself that I'm some kind of financial guru, playing with my newly-acquired IRA and trying not to lose all my money.

[By that lone standard, I'm a major success!]

For the first time in months, I find myself back at a coffeeshop just for ... fun. After a summer of haunting places for free wi-fi (casually "rented" for the price of a drink), today I headed for the B simply because I needed to get out and combat said budding agoraphobia.

It's interesting, being back in this world.

The B is a lot of things, but one of the most prevalent is its role as a yuppie hangout. Mixed in among the co-eds doing homework and the parents trying to entertain their kids for a few minutes are the well-dressed professionals having pseudo-intellectual conversations.

I shouldn't knock it. I used to be a much more productive part of that world. I used to partake in those conversations, right down to the business casual.

Now, I'm in chameleon mode. I look like a (dressed-down) yuppie and as far as anyone can tell, I read like a yuppie (my IRA lit is only interrupted by my forays into blogdom ... and the occasional article on Packers.com) but ... I'm an imposter. I'm here to break up my unemployed day, to do my job searches from a location other than the kitchen table.

Heck, I'm partially just here so I have an excuse to wear my favorite brown heels.

Yes, I'd say it's time I found a way to contribute to society again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review