Einstein Kick

Dear Habicht, Such a solemn air of silence has descended between us that I almost feel as if I am committing a sacrilege when I break it now with some inconsequential babble... What are you up to, you frozen whale, you smoked, dried, canned piece of soul...?

It's been a rough couple of days -- not just for me, either.

If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.

The kind of week that sends me careening off into other places looking for words of wisdom.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

This time, amongst many other sources (I've been reading an awful lot), that's included Albert Einstein ... who happens to be one of my heroes.

Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.

I mean, if I'm going to have a hero, it should be one of the greatest minds of the twentieth century -- right?

Mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing -- a somewhat unfamiliar conception for the average mind.

Even if reading his paper on relativity makes my head spin.

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in point of fact, religious.

Even if only a few of the [brilliant] things he said are directly applicable to current problems.

[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think.

... Although some are almost alarming relevant.

If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z. Work is x, play is y and z is keeping your mouth shut.

And others just hilariously accurate. (I should work on that last one.)

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

Yep. Brilliant man.

Falling in love is not at all the most stupid thing that people do — but gravitation cannot be held responsible for it.

Genius.

God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review