A Cellular Discussion

Note: This isn't terribly interesting, although it gives a little insight into my issues with technology. Sort of. If you're not interested, skip to the end and help me out by leaving some phone advice.

I am not easy on electronics.

In my history -- namely the last decade -- I have a dead laptop (I now refer to it as my doorstop), a dead desktop (went out in spectacular fashion, refusing to even boot by the end), and  two now-defunct mp3 players.

Admittedly not so bad. Unfortunately, it takes a turn when it comes to cell phones. In the last nine years, I've had five phones. The first lasted about 3.5 years. The most recent is at just over 2.5 years. As you'll notice, that leaves a total of 3 years (a little less, actually) for the three in between.

My first phone was a Kyocera, one of the first brick phones with graphics and games. It wasn't in color ... but then again, it was 2001. This was before the Razr, before most flip phones, before there were options to speak of. Heck, it was only a couple of years past the point where you could only get huge phones with glowing red LED numbers. It was a reliable, middle-of-the-road phone, and I was ridiculously excited to have it.

Three years later when I finally started looking for a replacement, the battery lasted barely a day, the stickers on the keys were all worn off, and the antenna was long since broken. It was ... used. Functional, but used.

The next phone was an LG flip phone (back when LG was still fairly new to the States, at least in the cell phone world). It was April 2005 and I got to upgrade to something with a color screen and more than ten ringtones.

Booyeah.

A year later in March -- the same day Mia Sorella and I would get in a car accident in Minneapolis -- I apparently shut the phone too hard and the screen nickelodeoned all over itself. I was left with an orange blob on a blue background where I was supposed to see my caller ID.

In and of itself, that was frustrating but not crucial, particularly since I've been an avid speed dial user since Phone #1. (Still am. It's just easier that way.) I didn't absolutely need a list of phone numbers on hand. However, when the 1 key started to go, I started having more obnoxious problems. Namely, I kept calling my dad (speed dial #4) when I intended to call Darren (speed dial #14).

That May, I sprang for a new phone.

For the next year and a half, I was back to a Kyocera, this one a masculine, retro-looking flip phone (with an outside marquis -- not quite the full outer screen that phones have now but still a caller ID). I managed to break the antenna on that one pretty quickly and duct-taped it on. Probably more damaging -- that poor phone was misplaced more often than any other phone I've owned. I even threw it away at once. Eventually, it started losing functionality -- first I lost color on the inside screen, then anything on the outside screen, then picture on the inside altogether, and then finally sound. I could use it with my hands-free, but that was it.

After about eight months total (we're up to January 2007), I went back in and came home with a Motorola flip phone.

Given my last two phones, I was sticking with something basic. And it held up ... mostly. For about a year. Then one hinge cracked. In May of 2008 (the day before I flew to Rapid City for the weekend), as I was walking through Barnes & Noble I flipped it open to send a text message and found myself holding two pieces. I made it to the end of the month on a pay-as-you-go phone before getting a permanent replacement.

This time, I learned. I didn't get a flip phone -- I got an LG enV. The original, not the second generation. If you haven't seen one, it's a brick phone with a flip-out (as opposed to slide-out, which just seems like trouble) QWERTY keyboard. It's also one that a lot of people had inherent issues with ... but never really gave me problems. It didn't spontaneously turn itself off (which was the biggest beef most people had) and all parts are still intact.

It probably helps that there's no antenna for me to break off.

And, until a couple weeks ago, I never had any major issues. Unfortunately, the charging contacts seem to be damaged because it now refuses to charge beyond two bars.

That's one I've never dealt with before.

For now, I'm borrowing Shorty's old phone (he had the same one) to charge my phone's battery (and then I can swap out his old battery for mine and so on and so forth). That'll work for as long as it has to, but it's time for me to track down a replacement.

So before I ask, let me summarize what I've learned.

If I don't have to flip it open, it seems to help.

If it doesn't have an antenna visible, it seems to help.

I've never had a touch screen. The idea scares me.

I really like having a QWERTY keyboard and fully intend to get a phone with one again.

It'd be great if I don't have to slide it open.

It'd also be great -- given my financial situation -- if I don't have to spring for a monthly data package.

Those are only preferences, however. I am open to suggestions. Help! Any thoughts as to what phone I should choose next?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

Adventures In Employment: In The Beginning