Our Cars Don't Fly Yet, But ...

There is something indescribably neat about living in the 21st century.

I mean it. An example:

I picked up Awesome Aunt in Minneapolis on Friday night -- she had flown up for my cousin's wedding, making a weekend trip of the jaunt from Houston to South Dakota. That's pretty impressive in itself.

An hour or so down the road, somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota -- emphasis on "nowhere" -- I got a call on my cell phone. No towns in sight but my phone rings.

And ... it's Mia Sorella. Using her computer to call from South Korea.

We both got to chat with her for quite some time before she had to leave since it was actually after 1:00 PM Saturday in Seoul and she had plans with one of her friends.

So, to summarize ... For some time there, my aunt from Houston was talking to my sister in South Korea while we made the drive through the middle of nowhere in Minnesota.

Only ten years ago, that was only possible with the most expensive phones and only in certain parts of the country -- decidedly NOT where we were. But on Friday night, we chatted for 40 minutes without dropping the call.

2009 is a pretty cool place to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review