"Harold Just Thought It Was A Wednesday."

Okay, okay, I know it's not Wednesday ... but I'm watching "Stranger Than Fiction" again and this movie has a tendency to hit me every time.

If you haven't seen it, you should. It's brilliant. Will Ferrell in a role you'd never expect from him -- a serious, straight character who starts as an adult and stays one through the whole thing. And Maggie Gyllenhaal, who totally rocks. And Dustin Hoffman, who also rocks. And Emma Thompson, who is several levels of brilliant in a boring role and absolutely phenomenal in a quirky, complicated role.

Yes. I love this movie.

I've never lived a Harold Crick life, probably because while I have a detail mind I don't have a keep-everything-in-spotless-order mind. At time things have seemed as routine as his life -- everything in the same order at the same time of days for weeks at a time ...

Perhaps that's why I love this movie so much -- Harold breaks out of his predictable and boring. He doesn't do anything crazy. He doesn't take up skydiving or run away to Europe or go on a reckless spending spree ... He finally makes a move for the girl he wants. It's not a huge thing, nothing terribly out of the ordinary -- people go on dates all the time -- but suddenly his life is interesting and unpredictable.

It's the little things, the things that don't seem life-changing but keep things interesting, keep them moving.

My life has been anything but routine for the last few months. That's been a good thing most of the time and a crappy thing at other times. But I'll take the crappy over predictable and boring. It doesn't have to be crazy or out there ... Just not too routine. But lately it's been mostly big things keeping it moving. The little things of my life aren't that interesting.

I can't help but think that it's a bit of a shame that my real life -- my regular life -- is boring.

And I'm not sure I can do anything about that.

So in the meantime, I'll get ready for the next big event -- Bri's wedding -- and I'll continue to hang out in my beautiful, if messy, apartment, watching movies with moments that make me smile and think and wonder and worry.

Maybe it doesn't seem so exciting ... but moments of calm can be just as wonderful as those of chaos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review