A Telling List

We're going to do something a little unprecedented while I'm feeling open and honest. Some of these you already know; some of these are only known by my close friends. But in any case, here we go. Welcome, Internet, to the inner workings of Ashley.

-------

Twelve Guilty Pleasures

1. Dark chocolate anything.
This is getting quite easy to justify -- dark chocolate, at least in small amounts, is actually quite healthy. Candy companies have caught on to it's new popularity, too; now there are several choices when you're standing in front of the chocolate display at the grocery store.

2. Cheesecake.
Wow. Yeah. Now, when I say cheesecake, I generally mean the real, cream-cheese-containing, has-to-be-baked stuff. But there are a lot of delicious derivatives out there ...

3. Almost any movie with Leonardo DiCaprio.
That's right. I still love "Titanic." And he actually manages to impress me now as he becomes less of a pretty boy. I also get the impression that he's a little different from other actors -- this goes back to an interview I read that featured all of the guys who were in "Departed." He was the "innocent" among the actors, which was surprisingly endearing.

4. Mocha Frappuccinos.
They're unhealthy, they're overpriced, and boy, are they tasty. This is an indulgence that has gotten rarer as my coffee preferences have gotten darker, but I still like 'em.

5. Hanson.
Fine! I admit it. I got hooked in 7th grade. And yes -- over a decade later, I still listen to them occasionally. Heck, I've even bought the last couple of albums they've put out. As I've grown up, so have they, and their music has provided an odd soundtrack the whole time.

6. Going to movies alone.
This is a little weird, but it's true. I prefer going to movies solo because I pay a lot better attention and I have no reason to worry about whether or not the people around me are enjoying themselves. Besides, movies aren't exactly great places to have a conversation.

7. Candles, scented or otherwise.
Yes.

8. Red wine.
I love wine in general (hence my mildly OCD collection of bottles), but a good chianti or syrah in particular can make my week.

9. Fresh flowers.
Logically, I get irritated with myself because they're good for a week and then you toss 'em. All the same, I love having a bunch of flowers on my dining room table. When I find a sale at the grocery store or when I'm feeling a little down and out, I'll buy them. All the better if I can pick them out of my or a friend's back yard.

10. Going for pointless drives.
This wasn't a guilty pleasure until gas topped $3 a gallon. Now, it's something I don't get to indulge in unless I'm really stressed out. [Usually involves exploring new places and driving too fast on country roads.]

11. Romantic comedies.
Normally I'm "one of the guys" and prefer to watch action-adventure movies or I'm feeling thoughtful and I go for dramas. But there are those times when I just need some syrupy sweetness in my life, and then I turn to the romance screen on a Redbox. Recently, these have been the rule instead of the exception, although that will likely shift again in the near future.

12. Blogsurfing.
It's a primo way to waste time that I don't really need to waste. Some days, it lets me feel superior because my posts are more grammatically correct. Some days it just makes me angry. Some days I feel very small and insignificant. But occasionally, I happen across something that I just have to keep reading, and then I'm all set to do it again.

-------

Well, there you have it. In the words of one of my blogging hero[in]es, I'm just keepin' it real.

Take it easy, folks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review