Unreal

There are several different kinds of people that go to restaurants alone:

-Those who don't much like cooking but don't want everyone in the restaurant to think that they have no friends and spend most of the meal on their phone or texting people.

-Those who are there almost every night because they don't know how to cook/don't enjoy cooking and don't really care if they don't have other friends because hey, all of the members of the wait staff like them and call them by name.

-People on business trips. (The suits give those ones away.)

-The guy in the corner who seems to be having an animated conversation with ... someone. (First, check for a Bluetooth or similar headset; if there is one, he fits into the first or third category. If there isn't, he may actually be crazy.)

-Those who just need a break every now and then and come with something to do while they eat.

I tend to fit into that last category. I get tired of cooking, or I haven't been grocery shopping, and I end up eating out. Lucky for me, I usually have a book in my purse. (This week it's Catch 22.)

Tonight, although I had my book, I along with all of the other lone eaters had my eyes trained on the TV, wishing I could actually hear what was going on. Instead, I could only read ...

"Gunman Kills 32 In Virginia Tech Rampage"

"Gunman Murders 32, Then Kills Self On Virginia Campus"

"33 Dead And Dozens Wounded In Massacre"

What most puzzles me is the time span between the first 2 deaths and the following ... 31?!

Bri brought up an interesting point as well. At no time in my four and a half years at Mines was I ever afraid of something like this happening. Not once was I fearful for my safety while I was at school. But in this case, such fear would have done no good -- the gunman wasn't a student.

There goes that bubble.

No matter how much I watch them, how much time I spend studying them, how much I read, I will never understand humans.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims and the wounded.

Comments

Unknown said…
Or just feeling lazy enough that cooking just doesn't sound appealing.

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review