Still Standing

A few great things and a few less great things have actually happened recently ... Whee, something to blog about!!

Starting last week ... Thursday night, I caught Justin on his way through town for a quick supper at the Spicy Pickle (yay). Alas, that didn't last too long (he had a long, dull drive ahead of him), but after that I met up with some high school friends at Old Chicago for a second supper and a welcome-home party for Jon, who has spent some quality time in Afghanistan but was home for 2 weeks. I hadn't seen any of them since before Ashley and Jon's wedding, so that was awesome.

This past Saturday, Mom and I took my sister back to school which meant a round-trip one-day drive to and from Minneapolis. Actually, it wasn't so bad; my sister has a pretty sweet setup at the school, and it only took about half an hour to move all of her stuff up to her room. We had lunch/supper together (at Erbert & Gerbert's, a place that may only exist in the Cities) before parting ways.

That night, my phone went kaput. More specifically, the screen doesn't work. Yes, this is a recurring thing with me. No, I'm really not that hard on them, although apparently I must shut my phone too hard or something. I have no other explanation. Someone (Jared) pointed out to me, however, that my phone may/should still be under warranty, so there may still be hope. In the meantime, if you want to talk to me, you will have to call me. No texting, please, and odds are good I can't call you.

Then, yesterday, I got an awesome surprise: Autumne and Matt magically turned up on my porch. Apparently there was some subterfuge involved (her mom called my mom to make sure I'd be around and stuff like that), but the bottom line was -- yay! A surprise visit! It was great to see them, especially on the eve of school starting.

Today I headed into town to have lunch with Dani and Jared ... Dani and I have a bit of a tradition -- every time we get a chance when I'm home, we go to the Olive Garden. Today, Jared tagged along for lunch (although we disappeared for coffee and "girl talk" afterwards) ... Fun stuff. Relaxing stuff. And good food, which makes it an awesome afternoon.

The less great event for the day involved the car ... No, not that bad. It got a flat tire. Less great, mostly because it's cold today, but not horrible -- easily fixed and hey, I didn't feel like a helpless girl. Yay for a mild ego boost.

Whew. I've been happy to stay busy; at some point on Saturday it occurred to me that most of the people I know are headed back to school right about now ... and I'm not. While I know that I'm done, I don't think I know that I'm done. Does that make much sense? Eh, not really, but close enough.

I miss Rapid City and all the people there -- I don't expect that to go away -- but I also know that there's something fun and possibly completely different coming up. I just don't know yet what it is.

And I can't wait to find out ...


Oh yeah you're pretty good looking for a girl
but your back is so broken
and this feeling's still gonna linger on
until the year 2525 now
-The White Stripes, "Pretty Good Looking" (going around and around in my head -- argh!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review