Plant Tours And Iowa

Oh, Katie. You just haven't read enough yet to know how truly boring things get around here!

I realized that I was gone for two days and the only thing I really talked about was the book I read. A bit indicative of my train of thought this last year or so, but not terribly informative.

The trip was interesting. Very interesting, despite spending something like 25 hours on bus in less than 48 hours. Yeah -- over half. Egads. A few of us pulled rank and made sure we had seats to ourselves (that is, two seats to ourselves ... nobody spent much time on anyone's lap, as far as I'm aware), which definitely helped keep things comfortable.

In any case, that's not where the excitement was. On Thursday, we made it to Chancellor (just a couple miles from my high school!) and we toured the ethanol plant there ... Interesting, yes, and a little on the small side. Very Chancellor-like. I got to talk to a girl I took advanced chemistry with in high school; it was cool to get caught up, albeit a little weird. She's married and everything now ... Crazy people.

After that tour, we drove to Iowa.

Some of you know my feelings on Iowa. I don't like the state. It's flat. There's a lot of corn. I dislike it enough to know that I'll probably end up living there at some point in my life, and that depresses me to no end.

The drive was nuts. At least 7 semis had tipped over due to the wind ... Not the most comforting thing when you're in a bus with two rather frightening drivers.

We stopped in Oskaloosa that night (tee hee -- Oskaloosa), where we ate at Pizza Ranch with some Tech alumni (including my friends Keith and Amy, which was great! I haven't seen Amy in so long ... wow) and crashed at the (only?) hotel in town. The next morning, we made the short jaunt to Eddyville.

I'm not an experienced plant tourist, but ... that plant is huge. Wow. And again, I need to look a little harder at Cargill.

A few tours there, some food (they kept us well-fed), and we were back on the road. We stopped in Sioux Falls for supper, where Dave and Cherry (from the same IV generation as Keith and Amy) met up with us for a bit ... Very cool. Short. But cool.

And then we drove back to RC.

Whirlwind trip. :S

There. I feel more updated now. Much better.

P-chem is done!! Wheeeee!! Now, if only the lab would be more interesting ... Ha!

That's about it. This week looks to be a little calmer than last week, although there will be a lot more work, as far as classes go. Eight days till our senior design presentation!


You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
-Douglas Adams

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes! I love boredom!! Haha. no, yours is not boring. Remember who we talked about? Yes. That is boring. Haha. Check our www.phdcomics.com if you would like a good laugh. Sure, it's about grad school....but you'd still understand!

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review