Uncomfortable Admission

Full disclosure: I miss winter. 

I know. I know I'm not supposed to say that. Such an inflammatory statement requires a little explanation, however. 

"Winter" around here basically means "not summer." 

And for me, not-summer means catch-up time during work hours, guests on weekends only, unforced free time, and much more comfortable hiking weather. 

I get tired of winter much more slowly than I do of summer. Summer's pace is exhausting, and while I enjoy thunderstorms at some point I get tired of wondering if my car is going to get hail damage this time.

Also, 90 degrees is not my number.

Every year, I look forward to the first time it drops below 40 degrees. To sweater dresses and boots. To the rush of holidays. To hot coffee not being quite so weird at 2:00 in the afternoon. To curling up with a quilt and a book for an evening.

And yes -- to football games and hot wings. Not-summer is awesome.

Most of all, though, I look at summer and see weeks packed with activity and not a lot of wiggle room. I look at not-summer and see the potential for so much -- new hobbies, new friends, new opportunities to travel. I see trails that are much less inhabited, begging for attention. I see chances to explore with fewer tourists and I see time to make a dent in my (rapidly growing) reading list. 

And I see the much-needed alone time that my poor introverted self thirsts for from May through August. 

So yes. I enjoy winter. I miss it and look forward to it each year. And some day I may not even be embarrassed to admit it. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review