Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Quiet

It's an odd day in August.

Actually, it was downright chilly. Sweatshirts all around this morning because none of us were ready for it.

But more to the point, as of 2:00 this afternoon, the summer staff was entirely gone. Tomorrow, we're -- shockingly -- empty. It's a deceptive quiet, a few days without guests to be followed by thirteen solid days with people, but for now the silence is astonishing.

This is why I found myself spending my morning working out a schedule (normal) and menu planning (not normal) while the radio blasted '90s classics (unexpected, but I got to enjoy The Wallflowers, so no complaints). I want to take advantage of that quiet as well as possible ... but that requires some serious planning ahead.

And some adjusting to temporary duties.

The M-Man and Chef Lady are done and entirely moved. It's ... perplexing. Not so deep down, I know that it's only a matter of time before that feels normal, that the new folks will arrive and we'll find our new rhythm. Right now, though? Right now, it's one more sad goodbye in a surprisingly long, drawn-out line of them.

The end of summer is always a bittersweet mix of relief and isolation. The pace change, while abrupt, is welcome -- I love the first week of cooking for myself at home and there's something immensely peaceful about walking through camp entirely alone. Right up until the first time I want to tell a story to one of the kitchen girls, or talk books with the Slavemonkey (his term, not mine). Then, that feeling of being very alone in the woods kicks in and I find my excuses to run to town for coffee. Or home for a long phone call.

For tonight, though, I'll enjoy my solitude. I've got work to get done ... and perhaps a camp to wander when it's dark.

No comments: