Allow Me To Clarify.

(For the sake of avoiding questions later, this comes from a string of conversations I had some time back. If it seems to come out of nowhere, then those conversations weren't with you. Don't worry about it.)

I am an optimist.

I know this comes across with some regularity on this blog. In fact, I've been accused of being a little too ... cheerful and vapid here.

However, give me the chance to defend myself.

To put this more accurately, I am a methodical, cautious optimist.

This means:

1. I will try to find the silver lining in whatever situation I find myself.
 
2. I will give you the benefit of the doubt until there is a reason I shouldn't.
 
3. I will try to see your side of an argument.

This does not mean:

1. I'm happy with a situation.
 
2. I trust you.
 
3. I think you are right.

You will also notice that I will not always express an opinion. I know that's not to everyone's liking but before I'm willing to speak up, I need to think it through fully and find a way to state what it is I'm thinking. I am a poor debater and this is one case where self-awareness actually allows me to shut my big mouth.

However, when I've had the chance to do that, I'll speak up if I think I have something to say worth considering. Especially if speaking now means avoiding a problem later.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review