Quarter Century In Review

Twenty-five years ago -- around this time of the night -- I was born in Rapid City, in the shadow of the Hills that would become my second home years later.

Two weeks later, all of the segments of the hospital building in which I was born had been moved to a new, much larger facility, and the old building became the behavioral health center. That's right -- shortly after I was born they turned the hospital into the mental health clinic. I can't make this stuff up.

I spent most of my childhood 350 miles away, on the eastern side of South Dakota. Life was good most of the time. Sure, we had our ups and downs (some years heavier one way or the other), but life was good.

On my eighteenth birthday I was in Kansas City, riding roller coasters with my physics class and a few hundred other high school kids. Looking back, I can't think of a better way to have rung in adulthood. It was an absolutely fantastic day.

A few months later, I headed off to school. Rapid City had been calling my name and there was no way for me to avoid it -- so I went. And it was a perfect fit.

My nineteenth birthday I was back in Sioux Falls for the summer; my twentieth, I was in Minnesota for an IV retreat. On my twenty-first, my boss bought me my first drink (and dinner for my boyfriend and I -- she was a fantastic boss) and a couple hours later we had to retreat due to a freak blizzard. I woke up the next morning to eight inches of snow on everything in sight.

My twenty-second was the first time my birthday landed on finals week. I took my last final of the year before heading to The Guys' House for dinner (little did Justin know he was cooking my birthday dinner!) and wine ... It was a fantastic day.

My twenty-third was my first as a contributing member of society. It was also the first time I took a taxi to the airport and the beginning of a truly crazy week. I was off to Rapid City for graduation, then to Minneapolis for my hazmat training ... I spent my birthday evening at The Guys' House again -- this time for a graduation barbeque -- talking with what felt like a million people and exchanging stories with the mom of one of my friends. (I don't think he appreciated that much!)

My twenty-fourth, I started in Rapid City and had to fly back to Wausau. It was also Mother's Day; I ate dinner with several other peoples' mothers in Rapid City before hitching a ride to the airport, where I finally had the chance to call my own mom.

Today, I thought I was going to be on my way to New Jersey.

For this -- my 25th -- I was excited enough to stay in one town. Even the one I live in, for that matter. I got up early, baked the cinnamon rolls I put together last night, and spent a pretty average day at work (aside from my caffeine guzzling due to sleep deprivation). Threw a batch of the Admiral's Mediterranean Dip together and headed for a potluck. Ate, had a beer at Redeye and was merry, headed home -- and now here I am, relaxing with a chocolate martini and talking to you folks.

I know it doesn't sound terribly exciting, but I've had enough birthday shenanigans already. A couple weeks ago we had our spring birthday bowling bash; last weekend I got to go shopping and get my birthday present from myself (a Camelbak! At last!); this past Wednesday I treated myself to the ballet. Tonight, I got to do something I've never done for my birthday: relax.
And it's been fabulous.

I've never been very good at relaxing. All through high school I was best described as "tightly wound." In college I was "energetic." Or "bubbly," depending on who you asked. Now, I'm usually "intense." Or "tired." Again, depends on who you ask. Or when you ask, for that matter.

Perhaps that's the best goal I can have for the next year -- I must learn to relax, preferably without getting lazy. Maybe then I can start to understand what it is to be happy in one place for an extended period of time.

Well folks, it's been swell -- but I've been up longer than intended and I need my sleep. Have a good week, all, and I'll catch you the next time around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review