Single And Relieved

Last night I had dinner with a couple of my married friends before I headed to the B for my usual Friday night "down time."

I don't know what it is, but that's the first place I want to go after work on Fridays. It's a little strange, but that's the way it goes.

Anyway! I ran into a coworker of mine -- the ever-gregarious Ph.D. with whom I power-mingled at one of the Admiral's parties several months back -- and he asked why I wasn't out exploring the "sizzling hot" Wausau dating scene.

That made me laugh. If there's a sizzling hot Wausau dating scene, I sure haven't found it. He asked if I had tried -- and I had to answer that no, I honestly hadn't spent much time looking.

This morning proved to be far more interesting than I had anticipated, but I won't get into that. Suffice it to say that, as I sat down with a redeye and a fantastic oatmeal-cranberry bar at Wausau's most awesome coffee shop, I was relieved that my life is so comparatively simple.

All of this -- the dinner with married friends, the conversation with Gregarious Ph.D., and the events of this morning -- have reminded me of how fantastic I have it. I have gotten used to my solitary existence, but I've also come to realize that my half-involuntary vow of celibacy was possibly one of the best things that could have happened to me. Aside from the freedom that I regularly tout on this blog, I get to stay out of the tangled webs people weave.

I know there are pluses and minuses to both singledom and coupledom, but right now the minuses of romantic relationships are glaringly obvious -- and I don't have to deal with them. That, my friends, is a tremendous relief.

Comments

Stickman said…
there is a bright side to either side!
daz said…
i need to take a step back, lots and lots upon lots of tangled webs are being created (some on my part, some not so much)

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review