Home For The Holidays

Home again, home again ...

That's right, folks -- I'm back in Sioux Falls. Drove back yesterday (well, rode back, in a complicated fashion since Lou is still not functioning correctly), and it's a good thing; today it's raining. You heard me -- it's December 20th, and it's raining.

This state baffles me.

Anyway, I'll be cooling it here until the next step is determined (with the exception of Urbana, which I'll probably write about in more detail later this week). I haven't been in town for three and a half months, so I'm actually looking forward to my time here. Assuming, of course, that it doesn't last five years. That might just be too much.


Christmas is in full swing here, which in my family means Christmas candy, gift wrapping, preparation for rotten weather, a massive (natural) Christmas tree, food that we normally consider unhealthy, decorations dating back to Early Ashley, and homemade spectacles of a different sort ...

The first thing I saw when I walked in the door was last year's awesome gingerbread house. This is something of a new tradition in my family; a gingerbread house gets made (spearheaded by my sister) with much pomp and circumstance, not to mention hours upon hours of labor. Last year's house took something like 40 total hours of work. (The roofing alone took about 10 of those hours.) Each house so far has served for two years.

This year is a "recycle" year, and the house is looking a little worse for wear; parts of it melted and it leans a bit. It's something like the old vacated Victorian house that everyone thinks is haunted but must have been beautiful in its prime years ... Actually, it was very funny to walk in and see it, even though it made me a little sad ... Guess you can't expect food to last forever. Besides, who knows how the next one will turn out!

Well, school's out now and I still have some work to get done. Have a great week, everybody! And, if I don't catch you again, have an awesome, blessed Christmas!


What's a partridge? And what's a pear tree?
Well I don't know so please don't ask me
But I can bet those are terrible gifts to get.
-Relient K's version of "12 Days Of Christmas"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review