Thursday, September 14, 2017

Things I've Learned This Week

1. When you come across a bison in the woods, it is every bit as unnerving as you'd expect.



2. I moved many things that I should have thrown away. On the other hand, my donation pile is only getting bigger.

3. Like many, I've been thinking back on 9/11 and where I was that day (early morning band practice), which led to a strange trip through the things I do and do not specifically remember. I remember the Gulf War, although not when it started (I was in first grade). The explosion of Columbia was a huge deal, as I was in class at an engineering university. (We watched the coverage all day in the dorm common room.) Bin Laden's death (while I was packing for my summer).

But what I've realized this week is how many people -- kids, in my book -- I know that have no memories of any of these things. Kids who worked for me were born after 9/11 or Columbia. Kids who have memories of those don't remember Columbine -- and more to the point, no memory of what school was like before that.

It's wild.

No comments: