An Open Letter

I've been trying to process this whole election since ... well, since about this time last year, but particularly since 2:30 this morning.

Now, after managing a couple more hours of sleep, there are a few things I want to say to some of the involved parties.


To Mr. Trump:

Congratulations. You now represent 318,000,000 Americans to the rest of the world. I hope you've considered that -- you now stand for all of us. Every man, woman and child, of every race and religion. Every single one. Not just the ones you like.

That's pretty huge. Now, I ask something inflammatory: please clean up your act. If you are to represent us, we'd like the rest of the world to respect us. You've said and done some things that, quite frankly. I don't want my name attached to, and I'd appreciate it if you'd cut that stuff out.

To paraphrase a Chinese proverb, it would have been better if you'd done that twenty years ago, but the next best time is right now.

The whole world is watching. Good luck.


To the US Congress:

The beauty of our system is that the power is distributed. If Mr. Trump does not take me up on the attitude adjustment, it is up to you -- the direct representatives of the rest of us -- to act accordingly. Now is the time for you to look past your ridiculous partisan lines and ask, "Exactly what is actually best for this country and the people in it?"

I don't expect miracles. I know it won't happen overnight. But you have the opportunity to stop bickering and impress us, and I challenge you to do so.


To the US populace:

I'm not sure what we've gone and gotten ourselves into here, but now we get to find out. After all the mudslinging, the arguing, and the ridiculous flame wars on the Internet, guess what? We still all have to live together.

I hope everyone realized mid-election that it would eventually end. Alas, I know that there has been some serious damage done. Friendships severed. Family members not speaking to each other anymore. But here we are -- and like it or not, we're in this together. We all have to deal with it, for better or worse.

And you know what? I have hope that it won't be as terrible as I first feared. I'm not impressed by our choice, but we as a people are pretty fantastic. We've done some super cool things over the years and we have the capacity for so much more. And we've done all of that regardless of who was President and what was going on in the White House at the time.

Now that I've written this, something else popped up on my Facebook feed, and I'll send you over to Wait But Why.

Okay, folks. Let's do this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review