A Good Encounter

Say what you might about Starbucks coffee, but I have a great experience almost every time I visit one. I'm not sure I can say that about any other chain. 

Backing up!

Today is a rest day, of sorts. After four solid days of GOING, my body needs a break and so does Sophie -- and as I'm on vacation, dangnabbit, I'm getting that break.

And some internet.

And an oil change for Sophie.

And ... groceries.

Okay, so I'm not great at resting. But it's a start.

Anyway! After delivering Mr. Rogers to this morning's start point, I aimed up the highway toward the next city with sufficient resources. In this case, that would be Bristol, Virginia. (Coincidentally attached to Bristol, Tennessee.) I was not in a great mood, the weather seemed to match my crankiness, and I was overthinking everything I possibly could early in the morning.

But hey, I had a birthday reward waiting for me at Starbucks and I knew I could find some wifi there. By the time I pulled into Bristol (I-81 and exit 7), the sun was shining and things were looking up.

And then I was greeted by a fantastic barista named ... Rachel, I think. Who upon hearing "birthday reward" grinned and suggested I wanted the bigger one with the extra shot. Between her enthusiasm and her grin, there was no way I couldn't smile right back ... and, you know, take her up on that extra coffee.

Don't get me wrong. I see a lot of people come through the camp and I understand that some days working with people drains you. Some days, a few crappy guests make it too difficult and you lose the energy to give everyone a good experience. But when that energy is there? Wow. Just as my rather bad experience yesterday with a hotel desk agent put a damper on the rest of the day, this morning's encounter turned things right around. I'm ready to buckle down and get some writing done, read a book, and properly take care of my poor abused vehicle.

But first, an enormous mocha.

Have a good day, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review