Little Ashley Goes For A Walk

There are certain aspects of working at a camp that are ... markedly different than my previous office jobs.

For example, today I was left alone with the camp while my coworkers were out and about. I love alone-in-camp days. They're quiet. Peaceful. Easy to get things done because you can justifiably walk away from the phone. (Ahem.) And okay, maybe I also enjoy big empty buildings while I blare OK Go and clean. Or if I'm feeling intellectual, an episode of the "What's The Point" podcast.

To each her own.

Anyway, this morning I was feeling fantastic -- a big step after spending most of the weekend generally miserable, holed up with a fever and a hacking cough. (Yes, you're welcome. Be glad I wasn't in public.) Which was good news since I also had a rather large to-do list and, again, an entire camp to watch.

Woot.

My day began with ... emails to answer. Not so exciting or different. But then I had a fully amusing breakfast with our two current guests and after that a handful of buildings to clean ... and so it started.

Just so we're clear, that's tiny stick-figure-me making a snow angel.
It's hard to illustrate, but that dotted red line is the path I took over the course of the morning. Starting with a walk to the main lodge -- breakfast -- cleaning upstairs -- off to the next lodge to clean -- and then the next, right as it started snowing.  Next came a rather hilarious conversation with the Tree Gnome, who had abandoned a pickup halfway up the service road with a dead battery and most of a load of tree cuttings.

Feeling punchy and maybe a little invincible, I decided to take care of it. This meant that fifteen minutes later, portable jump-starter in hand (I love that thing), I found said pickup.

And twenty minutes after that, I had it running and unloaded. See?

Sorry, M-Man. Probably on the wrong slash pile. Sigh.


By the time I paused for lunch, my two guests had left for awhile and we had three-ish inches of brand new snow.


Quietest. Lunch. Ever.

Some dishes, one last building to check, a little shoveling, and by the time I stopped at home with the mail I had finished the bulk of my list, had 10,000 steps on my pedometer and suddenly needed a break.

Really, that's the fun of this job. A stack of different tasks, the ability to just go and do, and a full feeling of accomplishment by the afternoon. It has its moments, of course [don't talk to me on credit card days], but then there are days like this that balance everything out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to channel that feeling of accomplishment into my own dishes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review