A Cup Acknowledgement

For those keeping track at home, in the last two weeks I've been to Texas and back.

With maybe a few other stops in between.

Which means that now I begin the (a) catching up process and (b) the "I-must-write-about-ALL-the-things!" process.

I like (b) an awful lot more.

That being said, I'd like to address something that blew up Facebook while I was gone. That is, the Starbucks cup controversy.

Or rather, the overreaction to the Starbucks cup "controversy," as I have yet to actually see someone be angry about the red cups themselves. [And I'd like to point out that I'm pretty sure I would have seen someone be angry if anyone was truly offended. My Facebook friends are fairly varied in their political and religious views.] It looks like someone somewhere (perhaps someone a tad extra-traditional) may have said something and thanks to our hyperconnected modern age it immediately got blown out of proportion.

The thing is ... I am a little annoyed with the cup change. Not for any kind of religious reason. I'm annoyed because the cups were so much prettier in past years and this year's cup is ... boring.

Yeah. You heard me. Boring.

Also, they seem to be of just the wrong shade of red that, when photographed and posted online, they grab your eye in a "I'm stabbing you in the retinas" kind of way. Which is problematic since our lovely reactions have them turning up in my Facebook feed with alarming regularity.

Of course, none of this will affect my stops at Starbucks, which are based entirely on convenience and cravings. In fact, after I hit "publish" I don't intend to think about it again.

But I had to say something. I've had a lot of time to ruminate these last couple weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review