Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Early Bird/Night Owl

Quick, without overthinking it, tell me something -- are you an early bird or a night owl?

[And WHY must both terms reference scary little neo-dinosaurs?!]

I suppose the answer to this could tell you a lot about a person. Early birds take the day head-on and annoy the living daylights out of their coworkers with an abnormally chipper attitude each morning. Night owls work best as the day wanes and slowly torture roommates when they don't go to bed at a normal time.

No doubt, each has their pros and cons.

Is anyone else out there kind of both?

I discovered in college that my best work hours, particularly for sit-down work, were between 5AM and 9AM and then again from about 8PM till, oh, 1AM or so. I would say it was just college being college-y, but it carried through till ... well, now. To this day, I accomplish more when the sun is within a couple of hours of the horizon. Get me to the middle of the day and I'm utterly useless if it requires any thought.

This isn't abnormal, of course. I've heard that we hit our own doldrums roughly 12 hours after our deepest sleep (which for most people with normal jobs means that sometime between 2PM and 5PM our energy tans).

Kind of makes a person want to live in a country with regular siestas.

With that, I'm going to get back to what I was doing. Not surprisingly ... my afternoon was nearly useless.

No comments: