Love/Hate

I have a love/hate relationship with rain.

You see, I live in a place right on the edge of a desert. In a forest, no less, where rain is crucial to keeping my world from going up in smoke. I love rain. I love it's life-giving power and the fact that regular rain keeps my piece of the planet from turning into a dry, dusty, hot chunk of earth.

When the rain stops, the ability to have campfires ends. The temperature goes up. There's just a little more tension as trees dry out and the dust rises. This was my experience all through college, and I don't miss the 100+ degree weather, the fire bans, or the fact that I had a "fire box" that someone was supposed to grab if I was gone and we were suddenly evacuated.

But.

There's always a downside. Too much rain and there is no swimming in the creek, no challenge course, no hikes on certain trails. Too much rain and activities with 60 kids get moved inside at the last minute and campfires get cancelled after all.

Balance. Balance is nice. Along with rain in the wee hours of the morning.

*Sigh.*

It's been a long weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

Adventures In Employment: In The Beginning