Finding The Calm

Never heard a snowman talking
Never seen a reindeer fly
Nor seen a wooden soldier walking
Nor met Santa eye to eye

I hope I'm not the only person under 40 that pulls out the Statler Brothers at Christmas.

Now there are those who don't believe
In miracles or Santa Claus
But I believe what I believe
And I believe in Santa's cause

But I might be.

Never heard an angel singing
Never known a Scrooge to smile
But I have heard sleigh bells ring
And light a spark in some small child

It's not been a year for me to feel particularly ... Christmas-y. As I mentioned last week, w
e've gotten good at chaotic Christmases -- which detract from the calm. They're certainly fun and interesting in their own right, but they don't lend themselves to a season of peace.

For kids and trees light up at Christmas
As well as preachers and our lawns
And light a Santa way at Christmas
I believe in Santa's cause

Now as I hang out in my brother's living room, 400 miles from home, the Christmas spirit still eludes me. Not completely, but there's something missing. Something that used to be present, something that came with a break from routine and a gathering of family, with the piles of food and the card games and the Christmas Eve service at home.

There's a Santa world at Christmas
Turning to the world's applause
So hang a bell for ole Saint Nick
'Cause I believe in Santa's cause

Clearly, it's time for me to move past how things used to be. We have a new normal.

So tonight, it's dinner here -- whatever it is we decide that should be -- and then off to Shorty's church for their Christmas Eve service. Then it can be the usual night of very little sleep and early rising, with a flight awaiting us instead of stockings stuffed with candy canes and socks.

Maybe, in the midst of all of this, I can sit back and see the things I always anticipated -- the lights, the snow, the bell-ringers -- and find that peace again.

Now there are those who don't believe
In miracles or Santa Claus
But I believe what I believe
And I believe in Santa's cause


Merry Christmas, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review