The Last Night

We've reached the end of the summer.

It's a bit surreal, actually. I'm still getting used to the fact that I'm not leaving, that I don't have to pack up my belongings and head back to ... somewhere. In fact, I need to do the exact opposite: I still have plenty of boxes in my garage to sort through.

Our last two camps are going through their last night. The last games, the last campfires, the last deep discussions among kids that didn't really know each other a week ago. It's a night of sugar rushes and late-night giggling before everyone heads their own directions in the morning.

Then the summer staff will be heading on down the road as well, back toward school and all the preparation for fall.

And us? We'll be swinging around into "offseason" mode with just the four of us. We've still got a full camp next week -- just not summer camp, exactly. It'll be September before we get a real break, after school kicks in and before the rounds of autumn meetings and retreats that keep us busy from October to December.

For now, though, it's time to finish. One more breakfast, one more round of evals and videos, one more busload of kids, one more chat with deans, one more camp flip.

Just one more night of summer camp left.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review