The Other Side

I know I wax semi-poetic about my job a lot.

Okay, fine -- I'll use the right word. I gloat. A lot. You see, I'm pretty much a happy person -- and this job makes me happy. Which means I'm an absurdly happy person a lot of time. Maybe even annoyingly chipper.

And okay. Maybe at one point I was greeted with, "Well, you're just sunshine and daisies all the time, aren't you?"

And maybe that made me tone it down a tad.

Clearly, though, there are things that aren't enjoyable. And it seems there are a few of you who would like to hear about those.

Take, for instance, last night. Apparently someone got sick last night ... right on the stairs between our dining room and patio. Cleaning up puke easily qualifies as my least favorite task.

Or the day I spent in waiting rooms when a kid needed stitches on his hand. That brought the trifecta of ickiness -- paperwork, calls to a mother, AND blood-soaked gauze. (He was okay, by the way.)

Or the number of dining room messes we have on a weekly basis. Red Kool-Aid stains everything. Nachos cause a veritable explosion of toppings. You can only smell of ranch dressing for so long before you lose all desire to eat that day.

There's also my perfume the other months of the year, which is a weird combination of bacon grease and bleach. (And people wonder why I'm single. Pshaw.)

By all means, there are also ALWAYS people problems. Scheduling conflicts that turn ugly, demanding guests, here and there some form of staff kerfuffle (I like that word) -- any time you spend all day dealing with different personalities and moods, something "interesting" will present itself. That's just the way it goes.

There's also plenty of disorganization, late groups, early groups, and my personal favorite, surprise groups to keep a person on her toes.

And I'm sure there's more, if I were more willing to put it all out there on the interwebs.

So no. It's not all sunshine and daisies.

Thankfully, the balance tends to be in my favor. So even when my computer still doesn't work, or I can't seem to see eye to eye with a dean no matter what we do, or I can't get enough sleep and I start biting people's heads off for now reason, or we're suddenly shorthanded -- it's okay. In the end, it'll work out.

And that's why most mornings, I'm Ms. Sunshine and Daisies herself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

Adventures In Employment: In The Beginning