Default Techie

I had nerdy glasses waaaaay before it was cool.
They were even held together with tape for a time.
I am a nerd and I am proud of it. Like most, however, I am a certain kind of nerd. I geek out over water systems and can (usually) draw a caffeine molecule. I can recite squared numbers and calculate exchange rates. Get me on the right topic and I can give you details you never thought you needed to know, from the full cast of a movie from the early nineties to the history of a building I thought was cool.

I am not a computer nerd.

In fact, I have never been a computer nerd. Computers baffle me, and I've always been around people who could help me out with them. (Heck, in college it was a trade -- chemistry tutoring for computer fixes.) There's never been a need for me to know much more than the basics and for many years, I got by just fine.

However.

When I was working in Tea, I fell into the techie role simply because I was the only one there who had any experience, albeit limited, with such things. For the most part it wasn't too complicated and I could pass myself off as talented with no real tests.

Then I moved to Storm.

I was informed shortly after my arrival that, as the youngest full-time employee, the techie role fell to me by default. At first I laughed it off, but then we got a new internet provider.

And with it a new wireless network.

And then new software.

And eventually a new computer.

And then we shifted things around in the office and I had to spend some quality time learning how our network works.

And there's been a fair bit of what I'll call diagnostic work when things have gone sideways.

It seems that despite my early protestations, I really do get to be our IT person ... which should definitely frighten those who know what I've done to my electronics in the past.

But remarkably, it's working so far. I've discovered the true value of Google for the things I've never tried before and I'm not afraid to draw the line. After all, NO ONE wants me to take anything apart. That's just nonsense.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some tweaking to do...



Couldn't pass up the opportunity to throw this in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review