Final Stage/Worst Stage

In the last decade, I have packed up everything I own and moved it fifteen times. Some of those were for school -- to college, elsewhere for the summer, etc. etc. -- but the bottom line is the same: it stinks.

Today I'm up to my two least favorite stages. It starts with cleaning up the dregs (where did all this junk come from?) and continues with goodbyes. Ugh, I hate goodbyes.

This time, it helps that a) I'll be back with some frequency and b) if I don't get everything out, I'm not out a security deposit or anything. (I may get a butt-chewing, but that can be handled.)
Doesn't mean it's a fun day. When I moved back to the area, I had no intention of staying here this long or getting particularly attached. It's no surprise that after two years, I've managed to make a few new friends and spend a bit more quality time with some old ones -- hello, attachment. Even with the knowledge that the next step will be awesome, I'm feeling oddly hesitant.

But you really can't take them with you. So as I continue to clean up the dregs (grumbling the whole time), I mentally raise a glass to the friends -- new and old -- that I'm leaving here. You've been grand, and you've made my unexpected phase in Sioux Falls much more bearable. Thank you for that.

Time to crank up the music and get back to it.


(Originally a Zombies song, covered by OK Go ... which is what I'm listening to right now)

...You don't have to worry
all your worried days are gone
this will be our year
took a long time to come

and I won't forget
the way you held me up when I was down
and I won't forget the way you said,
"Darling I love you"
You gave me faith to go on

Now we're there and we've only just begun
and this will be our year
took a long time to come

Yeah we only just begun
yeah this will be our year
took a long time to come

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review