Monday, October 22, 2012

The Struggle

As you may have gathered from my last post, I'm in the midst of some potential life changes. I've been slowly working myself out of a job here and that means that eventually, I'm really going to need a real one again.

Of course, this would be easier if I was absolutely certain about what I wanted to do with my life. But like so many people my age, I haven't nailed down what I want to be when I grow up, even if I have a few ideas.

But as the summer ended and I set aside my kayak and bike, started watching more Sportscenter (seriously, when did I become a Sportscenter watcher?! ... it's an autumn thing, I hope), and started working fewer hours, I knew it was time to figure that one out. It's time to be elsewhere. Past time, really.

And so it is that I'm spending my free time crawling the Internet, searching job sites and specific company sites, looking for that Holy Grail of positions that (a) doesn't put me in an office 40 hours a week, (b) lets me use some of my more varied experience, and (c) doesn't put me in a foreign country (look, I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but since Mia Sorella is currently out-of-country, I figure I can stay in the US ... probably).

Extra bonus if it puts me closer to mountains.

Which puts me to my point here. The responses I got (via Facebook, email, and comment -- seriously, you guys can't seem to make up your mind how to communicate with me, and it's amusing) made me wonder what kinds of answers I'd get if I took the poll approach.

What should I be when I grow up?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I know exactly what I want to be when I grow up, and I'm still having a hard time with the whole concept of getting a job again. As for what you should be... an engineer for a company that makes something you love to use, like kayaks. Then you can volunteer to test out the new products on a regular basis. Good luck!!