The Effect

Last year, I wrote a little bit about my mild obsession with bookstores.

Now, let me tell you the problem that comes from that.
I love books. I love the feeling of a book in my hands, I love their portability, I love that they never need charging, and I love (gasp!) being able to take notes right in them. I love being able to take one into a bar with me without being too concerned about consequences.


[Please ignore the bobbleheads.]
Not to say I wouldn't consider a Nook or a Kindle, but truth be told, I love my paper.

The catch here is that sometimes ... I go a bit overboard. I spend a lot of time and money in bookstores. I'm never safe at a library sale (but at least then I only spend $5!). When I had my big apartment all to myself, I spent a little too much of my disposable income filling it with books. I had about six different sets of shelves to fill and they were all packed -- fiction, nonfiction, travel, cook, serial killers and mental illness, science and the Tudor monarchs, Shakespeare and Vonnegut and Evanovich and Austen. If it tickled my fancy long enough, it ended up on a shelf.

The good thing about the last year is that I've been reading instead of acquiring. The bad thing is ... even without expanding, I don't have the shelf space anymore.

Which is when this happens.

Which is why tonight, I turned on "Dancing With The Stars" (blame Donald Driver and the fact that it's tango night) and started my every-so-often rearrangement, finding new homes for some of my books and pulling others, moving the ones I need to remember to the front and rotating others to boxes.

Although mostly it seems I'm making a mess.


(Hey, by the way ... I'm always up for suggestions. Anything out there I should be reading?)

Comments

JustMe said…
I use PaperbackSwap (http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php) to keep my bookshelf under control. It's gotten us mostly to the point where any new books entering are matched by a book going to a new home.

Also, I think you would find Bookcrossing (http://www.bookcrossing.com/) interesting. It's sort of like geocacheing for books. You label a book and "release" it into the wild. Then you post online where it's located. Sometimes a person will find it and go online to figure out what the weird label's all about, other times someone will actually seek it out. I haven't actually tried it but I like the concept.
Ashley said…
Andi, you may once again be my hero. I have some serious culling to do -- you know how it is. Some you can't bear to let go of, some are just collecting dust ... Someone else could be reading those.

And the Bookcrossing idea has be truly intrigued. Hmmmmmm...

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review