All Right, I'm Going To Indulge A Little.

Last year, I wrote about my personal Packers history, and since then I've mentioned them far more than I ever thought I would. Today (in the interest of a non-serious post with at least a little purpose), I give you...

Eight Reasons I'm Proud To Be A Packers Fan

1. It's the only community-owned team in the States. (They have their 5th stock sale going on right now. I wish I could join in...)

2. They had the guts to tell Brett Favre that no, he couldn't come back unconditionally (he would have to compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting position) -- and when he didn't like that they traded him and ended up with Clay Matthews. I'd say that overall, that move has worked out rather well for them.

3. Fans will get behind players they refer to as "Packer people" and will similarly shy away from players that don't fit that. (Guys I've heard mentioned as "Packer people" include guys like Donald Driver, who writes children's books, the rather reformed Charles Woodson, and Coach McCarthy, who has stated that he likes Green Bay enough to want to stay there even after he's through coaching.)

4. Their arrest record is in the middle ground of the NFL (whereas a certain conference rival happens to top it). This sounds a little dubious, but in my research (hey, I knew I had to back it up), I found that a) the arrest rate of NFL players is actually lower than that of the general public, and b) the Packers' tolerance policy appears to be fairly strict.

5. The riding-bikes-to-training-camp tradition is fantastic.

6. I've met other fans nearly everywhere I've gone.

7. Every game at Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960. There's serious fan commitment there.

8. This season. I mean, holy cow. It's been fun to witness.

Comments

Whitney H said…
God, it's great to be a Packer fan. Glad I bucked family tradition and decided to jump on board when I was 7. Go Pack, Go!

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review