Scrooge-y

One holiday down, two to go.

I don't quite remember when my expectations for this season started to change, but at some point in the last decade, the shift began. Then, when I wasn't paying attention, Cyber Monday and Small Business Saturday were added to the mix.

Maybe my memories of a simpler time are somewhat skewed. I remember a time when you didn't hear Christmas music in department stores till at least late November. I remember a time when people didn't line up for a Black Friday sale until Black Friday. I remember a time when there was no way you'd be buying your ten-year-old a new cell phone, much less an iPhone.

Hm. My "simpler times" memories aren't really that simple, are they?

All the same ... Why the stress? Why can't we just enjoy it? I mean, it's all supposed to be fun, right?

It saddens me a bit that I'm almost feeling more relief that Stage 1 of Holiday Psychosis is done than joy about the upcoming stage. (Of course, if Crazy Target Lady was really gone, that would help greatly.) It's a long, hard haul till January 2nd and it's too early to wear a person down now.

Maybe it's lucky that there are still four weeks to get into the spirit. I may need every last bit of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review