Not Enough Hours In The Day...

It's been a year and it felt awkward to return. I suppose it didn't help that I felt a bit like I was running away when I left -- I mean, after I got laid off, I got the heck out of town as soon as I could. That's not totally normal. People frequently find jobs in the same place. But I had no reason to stick around, so I made a mad dash for the door.

This weekend, though, called for a return. I had things to retrieve and an Oktoberfest to attend with the Admiral. Aside from the wind, it was an easy drive, but when I drove into town Saturday afternoon, I felt like I was sneaking in. I hit a couple stores but never stayed long. More than once, I thought, "Ashley, if you stay here too long you might run into someone you know. Do you really want that?"

It didn't help that it was such a short trip. I let a couple people know I would be in town but purposely didn't advertise. Meeting people for "appointments" is less than fulfilling and I just didn't have enough time to do too many visits justice.

And so it was that people found me. As always, I made myself at home at Red Eye -- it's hard not to when you get an enthusiastic greeting just for walking into a building -- and they came. And it was good.

All the same, it's good to be back, holding still again. Any trip east from now on is strictly for fun.

What an odd thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review