And Then There Were Four

In 2004, I worked with ten fantastic summer folks out at Storm. At the time, we were all young and mostly unattached. This past weekend, I attended the wedding of one of those coworkers.

This time it was Emilie, the youngest of the 2004 crowd. It was a beautiful wedding -- fairly simple (as in "not extravagant") and not overly large, although longer than most Protestant weddings I've had the privilege of attending. They included a foot-washing ceremony in lieu of a unity candle, which was something I'd never seen before. Emilie was gorgeous, as always, and the wedding party was hilarious. What I found particularly cool was that they only had siblings standing up for them -- her three sisters and his three brothers.

It got me to thinking, though.

The group's single population has been slowly thinning. I think [although not with much certainty] April was first, followed closely by Kellie. Dyan came next. Somewhere in there, Sarah left to become a nun. Then Missy and Aaron both got married the same weekend last year, one here and one on the East Coast.

Which makes Emilie number seven, with four of us remaining.

Of those four, only one shows any sign that she might consider it in the next two years. Two of us are figuring out where we'll even be living in a year, much less with whom; one I haven't stayed in touch with very well but other sources tell me he's no closer, either. And -- here's the fun part -- as far as age ranking, we're numbers 2 through 4 and ... 7 or 8.

There's probably some sort of significance to that. I have no idea what it is.

Anyway! I should stop contemplating the statistics and just say congratulations to Emilie and Nick. May you have more happy years than trying years, and may you go forth and multiply. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review