New Year In A New Way

At five this morning -- after hanging out in the public area for awhile -- we left Mia Sorella at the line for security in the airport. She's somewhere over northern Canada now after a brief layover in Detroit.

The whole family pulled an all-nighter. Somehow, sleep seemed pointless after ringing in the new year, knowing that we'd be headed for the airport in less than four hours.

I didn't sleep until around 7:30, some time after I was sure that Mia Sorella's plane had actually taken off. From what I could tell, they may have sat on the tarmac for awhile, likely being de-iced in the somewhat inclement weather.

[I-90 was closed from Sioux Falls to Rapid City, I-29 from Sioux Falls to ... Canada. Yes. That's something like 730 miles of closed interstate. But the airport was still up and going. Thank goodness.]

As such, it is considerably less surprising that I was making myself a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of tea after 3PM, still in my pajamas.

I know yesterday I said I wouldn't be doing any particular moralizing over the new year, and by most accounts I'm going to stand by that.

However.

The last three years, I rang it in in very predictable fashions. Looking back, those three years were the most stable, predictable ones of my adult life. Possibly ever, knowing what could very well be ahead of me.

And yet, in that stable atmosphere, I still couldn't live up to the resolutions I made.

Something about that just doesn't seem right.

This year, on the other hand, requires change. A new job at the very least. Applications. Movements toward grad school (which is likely delayed till fall 2012 so I can at least apply for my #1 school, but that's okay). Making progress on my debt.

That's the coolest part. By June 2012 I could actually be 100% debt-free. Sooner if I make any extra payments between now and then. Crazy, huh? (Just in time to go back to school, but at least then I'd be starting fresh, so to speak.)

This year has deadlines. Ultimatums. A year from now, things must be different.

So I raise my tea cup -- happy 2011, all, and may your year bring you all the change you want, all the stability you crave, and plenty of fun in the meantime. Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review