Leaving WausVegas

(to borrow a phrase from the inimitable Jim Carlson)

I rolled into town on a Saturday in February of 2007. I promptly got lost.

It wasn't that the directions I had were hard to follow -- it was simply that I got to Wausau and then looked for my exit. It took some time before I realized that I had passed it on my way in.

I had spent the previous night in Minneapolis, and for the first few days I was homeless. Next, I occupied a nearly-empty apartment for a bit before my parents followed with my stuff.

It seems only fitting that I hit rewind. My parents turned up a week ago to load almost everything into a truck. I then occupied a nearly-empty apartment until yesterday, then camped at Emma Jean's for my last night in town. Tonight, I'm hanging out in Minneapolis with the Admiral, E-Train, and Mrs. Bergie before landing in Sioux Falls for the foreseeable future.

The parallels are a little weird.

After a long night of packing and cleaning, my hands covered in scratches and bleach burns, I crashed for a few hours. Wausau was bright and chilly as I said my goodbyes and meandered out of town. It seems only appropriate that I leave as my favorite Wisconsin season ends ... The trees are almost bare (partially because it's almost November and partially because of the gale-force winds this past week) and there's just a hint of frost in the air. It won't be long before my replacement residents start grumbling at the long stretch of sidewalk while they shovel.

I won't miss it.

In the meantime, it's time to start adjusting to this new phase. It's gonna be an interesting one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review