Impending

"When are you leaving?"

"Sunday, actually."

As many times as I've had that exchange in the last three days, it has yet to sink in. It's almost bizarre -- other people see the reality of it and react accordingly, but I can't seem to grasp it.

This life I've led for the last three and a half years is coming to a hasty close. Soon, I'll be discovering a new routine, one without dance classes with Todd and Julia, without Red Eye, without this particular B&N. One in a house I'm sharing with other people (not my house at all, in fact), with a job where I'm a newbie (hopefully) and around people I haven't seen much of in the last eight years.

The last one looks good. The others sadden and scare me a little.

The catch with Wausau is that I was never supposed to get attached. I knew going in that it was likely to be a less-than-forever thing (although once I got into my job I changed my mind a bit) and for that reason I avoided buying a house or getting into a relationship. I didn't want the permanent strings tying me to the town.

Instead, I settled in and, accidentally or otherwise, made myself at home. I didn't own my home or find myself with a dude close by, but I found other things that made me look at Wausau in a new light.

And it is those that I'll miss dearly.

This particular chapter of my fractured fairy tale is coming to an end, ready or not. As soon as I let myself think about it, there will be tears and anger and depression.

Just so you're warned, my posts may get even moodier.

For now, I'm going to crash on a "people-are-fantastic" high (good conversations at Red Eye tonight only remind me of what I'll be missing in a month). Have a good night, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review