Events & Affirmations

Yesterday was a truly fabulous day.

Actually, the whole weekend thus far has been fantastic. I took Friday off because, well, I wanted to, I had things to get done at home, I have some vacation time I have to use or I'll lose it, and last week had been slow enough that I could stay home without guilt.

Did you get all that? Good.

Anyway, I stayed home on Friday. By virtue of being a day longer, my weekend was automatically 50% more awesome. Managed to laze around, clean up my house (more or less), get a hair cut, and enjoy the weather. All in all good use of a Friday, I think.

The Admiral turned up and we went out for dinner, then grabbed a couple drinks with other friends. Yay for Friday.

Yesterday there were no set plans until 7PM. The two of us and Neubs ended up grabbing breakfast at what may very well be the best little diner in Wisconsin. (Seriously, I love the place and I need to go there more often. It's clean, it's inexpensive, the staff is awesome, the food is unbelievably tasty, and it's walking distance. What more could I want?) We all went our separate ways for a couple hours, then reconvened to walk downtown and putz around a bit. Found a geocache (which had a really neat view of downtown Wausau gearing up for the Susan G. Komen race), watched some kayakers do tricks on the rapids, and generally enjoyed the weather.

From there, Neubs headed home and the Admiral and I cleaned up and went out for sushi. From there it was a quick stop by the grocery store, then on to a truly awesome summer party on the west side of town. Live music, more food than a crowd of 100 could eat, great drinks, dancing -- and a whole lot of friendly, happy people.

Said party was why the Admiral was in town, so it was no shocker that I was tired long before him. He didn't reappear until about an hour ago, having crashed on the couch there. I was considerably more boring and got home at a reasonable hour last night ... and slept like a rock.

What is truly astonishing about yesterday is that everything we did was uniquely Wausau. The diner, the kayakers, dinner, the party -- while there are plenty more towns that have their own versions of each of those, the places we went were quite definitely Wausaunian. And it was awesome.

I have my occasional beefs with the town and I'm certainly not always happy to be here. The town isn't huge and it has its inconveniences.

However!

Some days it just shines. Yesterday was one of those days.

Yeah, you could say I like my adopted home. It can be a pretty cool place when it's given the chance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review