Umm...

At least three times yesterday I was wished a happy Mother's Day.

That in itself is a little confusing, but what really got me was when I told someone I wasn't a mom. She chuckled and said something like, "Oh, well, just in case -- I didn't want to offend you by forgetting."

Didn't want to offend me?!

I didn't have small children running circles around me and I wasn't wearing a wedding ring. I'm fairly young (I'm assuming that since I still get carded I don't look old enough to imply that I "should" have kids) and while I may have a few extra pounds on me I don't look pregnant. Assuming I do have kids just because I could theoretically have them is a bit offensive by itself.

Tell me, moms -- if you were out and about without your kids and someone didn't wish you a happy Mother's Day, were you offended? Because I had no idea how to react to that.

Comments

Lee Ryan said…
Whoa!

Yeah. That would have freaked me out.

Then again...I wonder how that would have worked. You know, to walk into a social gathering: "...Excuse me ladies...I just wanted to wish each and every one of you a 'Happy Mother's Day'..."
Ashley said…
Now a blanket statement would have just made me smile. That last one was someone in the grocery store, just talking to me. It was ... uncomfortable.
Tua Sorella said…
I don't want to be vulgar, but that lady deserved a bitch slap.

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review