And Away!

We'll go
At 1000 miles an hour
We'll fly
Past wheat fields and water towers...
(OK Go, "1000 Miles Per Hour")


There's been downtime, of sorts, periodically all week.

But all the same, I feel like I haven't stopped moving.

It all started last Thursday, when I was informed that I would probably be going to China the following week. Late, probably not till Friday or so -- but going.

Hyperdrive started.

Friday, I'm told I'm not going for at least another two weeks.

Hyperdrive stalls; the regular motor kicks in again and things are taken down a notch.

Saturday morning, my boss calls. I'm going. And not just going -- but leaving on Tuesday.

Suddenly there just weren't enough hours to take care of everything. Travel arrangements, project arrangements, paperwork ... I'm still not sure what all I forgot. I did remember to put a hold on my mail but I think I left my rent check on my desk. (Oops.)

Tuesday morning, bright and early, I'm on a plane, aiming for ... well, Chicago, right that moment. Around noon I settle in to my next flight, direct from Chicago to Beijing, and somewhere over Siberia I think it finally hits me: I'm almost in China.

The first thing I couldn't avoid noticing -- after I finally exited the airports -- was the traffic. Even at 10:30 at night it had its moments of complete and total chaos.

Let me try to describe it for those of you who are made uncomfortable in US city traffic.

There are no holes in traffic. Lane divisions are suggestions. For the most part, traffic will stay on the correct side of the road, but not always, especially if there is a slower car directly in front of someone.

They do generally obey stop lights. Thankfully.

It is, however, a controlled chaos. Everyone is used to the way things are done and everyone is fearless. And I mean everyone: the pedestrians, the people on bikes, the people on mopeds, the guys driving Soviet-era sedans, the guys driving Lexuses [Lexi?], the truck drivers, and the bus drivers. Fearless. The horn is just as much a tool as the steering wheel, but here it can mean anything from "Hey, you're in my way!" to "Coming up on your right!"

For a somewhat sheltered Midwestern girl, it was a little harrowing the first time.

The fevered pace continues. The plant here goes live in two weeks and it looks like perhaps we can be ready ... Tomorrow, I'm off to the next site before landing in Beijing for a day.

Yes. 1000 miles an hour...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review