Twin Cities Adventure

Let me tell you a story.

Some time back -- I estimate between 18 and 24 months ago, although I'm not totally sure -- I took Sophie in for an oil change. As usual, I kicked back in the customer waiting area with my mp3 player and a book, paying very little attention to the things going on around me.

I glanced up as someone else walked in -- and caught sight of the television over my head, tuned in to some cable news station. The host was talking via webcam to someone I didn't recognize, and here and there still photos flashed up -- photos of cattle staring at the camera, photos of kids doing random things, and occasionally photos of men in chaps.

The chaps. The chaps were what ultimately made me take out my ear buds.

It turned out that the woman's name was Ree, and she ran a website that was quickly growing in popularity. I caught that last part as they went to commercial and the segment ended, and I quickly jotted down on a piece of paper the only reference I caught -- "Pioneer Woman."

And the rest is history.

Her website has evolved since that fateful day to include several parts, almost all of which I read with some regularity. I test her recipes. I follow her Photoshop tutorials and find new things to do with the program. I laugh at the stories in "Confessions," the section containing normal blog material. (I don't pay much attention to the homeschooling section for obvious reasons.)

And, when she released a cookbook last month, I had it preordered on Amazon.

The day it arrived (which took a little while because I love to not pay for shipping) I sat down and read the whole thing, cover to cover, page after drool-inducing page. Then I started cooking.

I recommend it to anyone, with a few warnings:
1) She's married to a rancher. She is not a vegetarian.
2) She uses olive oil occasionally, but she is not concerned about cooking with butter.
3) Or other fattening but delicious things.

This book is the original reason I'm going to Minneapolis tomorrow. You see, along with the release of said cookbook, she's going on a book tour. And tomorrow afternoon she'll be at the Mall of America.

Naturally, my planned day trip has evolved to include other things as well, but that's going to be right smack dab in the middle of it. A chance to meet one of my blogging hero[in]es. [Okay, I admit. It's a little weird to have a blogging hero in the first place. But there you have it.] And, well, you know me. I'll take any excuse for a road trip.

A book signing, DSW, IKEA, Trader Joe's, and hopefully the Body exhibit. Sounds like a great trip to me!

Comments

Unknown said…
I just started reading her!! Its awesome :) And last weekend I made her homemade stuffing which was absolutely fantastic! Have a great great time!!!

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review