Another Milestone And Things On My Mind

It's a Friday night.

It's a Friday night and I can't convince myself to do anything.

This is no great change from any other Friday. By the end of the week I'm often feeling mildly misanthropic and ready to hibernate for a bit, away from the crowds (such as they are in this town) and even my friends.

Given the craziness of this week, tonight has been a blessed escape from reality.

Unfortunately, I had some late coffee and I'm overthinking things ... so I'm oddly energized and agitated.

My little brother -- because he will always be my little brother, even if I'm no longer capable of easily picking him up and physically subduing him -- will be moving to college in just two days.

I was chatting with my mother as she made the drive across the state with a truck full of his stuff and the reality of that hit me. For the first time in my life, I felt old. When I moved out of the house, he was just barely twelve, a little guy I still called Shorty ... and now he's headed off to college.

My parents will soon officially be empty nesters.

It's been a summer of ups and downs, a summer of random and huge changes. I've been to three weddings. I lost a friend. My sister -- previously only three hours away -- moved to a foreign country. That little brother of mine spent seven weeks in Africa. I spent a week in New Jersey, having spent five months going full steam on a project -- and less than a month later, that same project suddenly and alarmingly fell flat.

I could go for some steadiness. And, to be perfectly honest, some really, really good news.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the upcoming fun (and there's a lot of it) and another autumn in Wisconsin.

Life is good. It's just a little out there sometimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review