Issues

I have a problem.

I tend to feel responsible for other people enjoying themselves in social situations.

It's not that I want to entertain them necessarily, nor do I want to try to quell other people's behavior. It's more  of a management thing; if I can tell that someone's not comfortable or not happy, I'll try to do what I can to fix it. A lot of the time it's as simple as steering someone in another direction or striking up a conversation.

The catch is that, if I'm aware of such an issue, I have a hard time relaxing and enjoying myself. What's more, when it's brought to my attention after the fact, I feel guilty about not having tried to fix the situation.

I can't decide if this is a simple acceptance of not being able to please everybody all the time (since I'm not that delusional I don't think that's it) or just learning to relax and let things be what they are. Whatever it is I need to do, I need to do it soon. I think my recent antisocial behavior can be largely attributed to this particular characteristic.

This is far too heavy of a thought on a Friday afternoon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review