Happy New Year!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both ...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.
- Excerpt from "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost


Happy New Year!

2009 began with a bang. And about a ton of falling balloons. I was at the Grand in downtown Wausau, and that was exactly where I wanted to be.

Now that's a good feeling.

It's funny. Two years ago I rang in the new year in St. Louis while at Urbana. I had no idea where I would be six months later. Now, I find myself in Wausau, still happy to be here most of the time, and still a little baffled over my path here and where I might be by this point next year.

I have a lot of things to look forward to this year. Two trips to the Hills, one to England. Two weddings for two very dear friends. There are things I'm not looking forward to as well, but they will be dealt with as they come.

There are things I want out of this year as well. I need to get more organized, and I want to get better use out of my gorgeous kitchen. I want this apartment to be the kind of place people can drop by at any time and I can be ready for them. I also want it to be a haven for me instead of a place that inspires feelings of exhaustion.

Then there are the usual things. More exercise, healthier food, more involvement in the places I can be involved, meeting new people in fun walks of life. So on and so forth.

I will be turning 25 this year. For the last three years or so, that's been the first thing on my mind when I thought about 2009. Twenty-five. A quarter of a century.

Is it really that big a deal? No, not really. Will I throw a big party? Probably not. Heck, I did my best to not acknowledge my last two birthdays, although in the end my child-like enthusiasm for recognition did me in both times.

It's enough, however, to lead to more serious reflection. There are things missing in my life ... and there's no time like the present for me to start fixing that problem.

And so my life continues down this road less traveled. I have to admit -- I'm starting to look forward to what's coming more than I was. It's going to be one very interesting year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review