Questions

Four times. It happened four times this weekend.

People were walking the neighborhoods, knocking on doors and reminding the rest of us contributing members of society to vote. Fine. It's something of a public service. And it can't be considered even remotely rewarding. I felt a little bad for them.

I voted last week -- I love early voting -- and I told them so. Then came the part that made me angry.

"Great! So who'd you vote for?"

Now, I remember a point in time where I was told that voting was -- *ahem* -- private. Hence the shrouded voting booths. Hence the anonymity. Yet four complete strangers all asked me the exact same question.

It took until the third person asked before I said exactly what I did think. I feel a little guilty now for telling the woman she was abominably rude to ask someone she had never met such a private question (particularly since I actually did use the word "abominably") before I shut the door. Not slammed, but it was a definitive shut.

I was a little nicer to the fourth.

The full truth is that I have only discussed politics on any in-depth level with my parents -- and I prefer to keep it that way. You're welcome to guess who I voted for if you'd like, but don't expect me to tell you whether or not you're right. If you read this blog very often, you already know I'm not terribly impressed by either of our mainstream candidates.

This is a little different for me. Usually I'm a fairly open book -- if you want to know something about me, all you really have to do is ask. If you want to know my opinion on an issue, I can usually tell you what I think. If you want my opinion on a candidate, it's a little fuzzier. But if you want to know for whom I'm voting? Please excuse me, but screw you. That's none of your business.

Now -- good luck tomorrow, all, and may the force be with you. Or something like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review