More Silver Screen -- But No Lists This Time

Yesterday's post and my current search to replace my old TV (whom I am tempted to name Moby both because it's ginormous and because I have an unhealthy complex about naming inanimate objects) have gotten me thinking about the whole video media thing.

When I moved five months ago, I decided I wasn't going to get cable in my new place. There were a couple of reasons ... For one thing, it's too stinking expensive, especially since there's not necessarily anything besides "Law & Order" on at any given time. And while I am occasionally in the mood for "L&O," it's not a 24-hour addiction with me.

Also, it seemed silly to spend the money to watch hours of TV on my particular set -- a 25-year-old, 21-inch wood-paneled piece of almost-modern art that magically fits perfectly in the cheap-as-free entertainment center I acquired from an old housemate. The picture flickers, the color sporadically disappears, and the sound sometimes freaks out.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I love movies. Love them. I lose myself in good and bad movies. I analyze scenery, camera angles, lighting, and soundtrack choices. (I blame Aaron for that.) Plot lines, characters, and actors stick in my head in an unhealthy fashion. [Faces, names, and phone numbers -- my memory has a creepy stalker vibe to it.] I am eternally grateful to Aaron and Eric for introducing me to the movie game, where you list actors and movies in a continuous string (actor-movie-actor-movie-etc.) until you get stuck. It kept me entertained for nearly an hour when I was stuck in O'Hare on my trip back from Colorado Springs.

My hiatus from television only served to feed my love for movies. Aside from my pile of books, I get my entertainment from movies. Living alone can be very, very quiet, and I like noise. Playing a movie while I clean? Very comforting.

Now, when I finished college, I had exactly twelve movies (which I won't list because that would make this a 12Things post). Most of them I had from early in my college career but I refused to expand the collection because I needed that money for other things. Like food. And tuition.

However, those movies got old rather quickly right after I moved to Wisconsin, when I was spending a lot more time by myself. I had cable, but even then you only got to see the truncated versions of movies cut up by ads for cars, fast food, and life insurance. I started to slowly add to the collection.

Then, I moved to my fabulous old house-apartment.

My collection -- while still small in comparison to lots of people -- has grown an almost embarrassing amount since March. I can't walk past a $5 sale shelf without browsing. I can't pass up the buy-2-get-1 sale at B&N every couple of months. This last time I was in Sioux Falls, I hit Last Stop CD Shop and the neighboring pawn shop hard. Blockbusters, new releases, random obscure films that no one's ever heard of -- almost anything goes, as long as I can find it for $10 or less and I think it looks good.

Redbox doesn't help. I've seen more new releases in recent history because of the majesty of $1-a-night, through-a-big-automated-touchscreen Redbox. I recommend finding one near you, o cinephiles.

But now it's time I stop treating the movies I love like third-class members of this household. It's time to retire poor Moby. I've started shopping. Now all I can think as I'm staring at a screen in Best Buy is, "Hmm. But how will 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' look on this?"

The answer? Usually "Bright, shiny, and completely psychedelic!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review