DVD Magic

**This is NOT a paid advertisement.**

Okay. I don't do this very often, but I have to plug the awesomeness here. What is that awesomeness, you ask?

Redbox.

Redbox is a DVD rental chain, but it works differently than anything else I've seen. You go to a kiosk (in grocery stores and McDonalds..es everywhere) pick out your movie -- and it gives it to you. It's $1 a night per movie and you can return it to any other redbox in the country. The nights you keep it are automatically charged to your credit card. You can also reserve movies online at their website so they're waiting for you at the kiosk. Very, very easy.

If you only rent a few movies a month (like me) it's a fantastic deal. I can't get enough use out of Netflix to make it worthwhile, and I'm not a fan of spending $3.50 to rent a movie I'll watch once and return. That doesn't really work for me.

There are a couple things to remember:

1. These are new releases -- usually in the last two or three months. After that, movies get pulled to make room for the next batch.
2. There is not an unlimited supply of any given movie. They don't burn the DVD while you wait. But then again, neither does Blockbuster.

I also love their website. They have the same sense of humor as me. For instance, from the "Disc Cleaning" section of their help menu:


Do: Handle the disc by the edges.
Don't: Touch the shiny surface where dirt, oil and fingerprints can leave residue. Do not lick. The disc is not flavored
Do: Store the disc in its case (except when using it) by seating it firmly in the center holder.
Don't: Place discs in direct sunlight, on a heat register, in the microwave or in the toaster like a bagel. Also, do not scratch, fold, bend, "Frisbee" at roommates or family members, use as a coaster, or try to determine its Mohs Hardness Scale number by testing with various implements.


Ah, nerd humor.

Okay. My plug is over. Back to my movies.

Comments

daz said…
hehe, that's awesome :-P

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review