Pizza & Other Facts Of Life

After a fantastic weekend (and exhausting, as so many vacations are), I am in no mood to cook. It doesn't much help that I have about four things in the refrigerator that are still edible; being gone for an extended period of time does nothing for available groceries. This means that tonight I caved in and ordered a pizza, covering both supper tonight and tomorrow's lunch (which will be a trade up from the crackers and handful of cheese curds that I had today).

It's a little depressing sometimes. I have a great kitchen, but this summer it's mostly going to waste.

The full truth is that I'm staying busier than I have in ages but turning into more and more of a hermit at the same time. When I'm out, I'd rather be at home. When I'm at home, I order in and hunker down to read. Or I go off on long walks around my neighborhood. On the weekends, I leave or I hibernate. This is a new phase to me ... I mean, I've always been a bit of a hibernator, but as a general rule I love being around people. I thirst for crowds and craziness.

Lately, though, I'm more of a pizza-and-a-book kind of girl. Good for my reading list -- bad for my social life.

At the same time, perhaps my social life could use a rest.

Maybe I'm getting cynical. The full truth is that I'm starting to see people in far different lights ... People I like, people I respect, people I trust. While I know that you have to see someone at his or her worst in order to truly know them, I have to wonder why these things have to happen in groups. Why can't I see a bunch of people at their best (bests?)? Balance and moderation. Please.

It doesn't help that I just learned tonight about the impending divorce of some very good family friends ... It's a bit stunning. And heartbreaking. And numbing. The kind of thing that makes you wonder if any marriage -- or friendship -- or relationship in general -- is safe.

On a hot July night, this was the last thing I was expecting to hear. When Mia Sorella and I last saw them in May, nothing was obviously wrong. In fact, it seemed like other things in their lives were just starting to brighten.

It's a little amazing what a human can cover if he or she really wants it unknown.

But that's what we do. We smile, put our best face on, and let the world know that we're just fine.

It's interesting, seeing people newly. Maybe this cynicism isn't such a bad thing. Maybe it'll wear off soon enough. Who knows, really?

Comments

daz said…
not alone in that cynicism

did you know that a definition of cynic is:
a member of a school of ancient Greek philosophers who held viture to be the only good, and stressed independence from worldly needs and pleasures: they became critical of materialistic social values (websters new world dictionary, 2nd concise edition)

(found this out when i checked to see i spelled cynicism correctly)
Katie said…
I think it's good to see people with the mask off. and to take our masks off. But as Shane Claiborne says, "it's easy to be cynical"

What to DO about it? I'm sorry to hear about the divorce, it really does throw you for a loop to hear those things.

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review