Up All Night

Listening to: Billie Holiday
Thankful that: I decided to stay home this weekend after all

Oh, what an agonizingly long night. Sort of.

Those of you who know me or who have been reading this for any significant length of time probably know that I am prone to bouts of insomnia. Nothing to compare to my sister's bouts, thank goodness, but there nonetheless. (If it is in fact genetic, my dad gets the blame -- he has the same problem.)

I am a morning person -- sort of -- and a night owl. I am not an afternoon person. The problem seems to come when those nights blend right into the mornings and I then sleep into the afternoon.

Last night started like so many Fridays. I've been taking Fridays off lately from the social scene; we have an active group here that can keep busy virtually every weeknight. By Friday, I need some me time. With that in mind, I left work yesterday and headed straight for JoAnn Fabrics.

That felt odd, simply because I'd never been in there and I've never been into sewing, knitting, or anything like that. However, my request for my birthday this year was a sewing machine.


Aside: I recently turned 24. My birthday presents this year were perfect, right down to the anonymous set of knives that I got in the mail. (Not overly anonymous -- I knew exactly who they came from. Thanks, dude.)
Anyway, I stopped by JoAnn Fabrics so that I could finally test out my new machine. And I proceeded to spend way too much time there because, well, I didn't know where to look for anything. And I'm as easily distracted as your standard six-year-old. Deathly combination.

The rest of the evening involved some take-out for dinner, a spontaneous I-need-to-leave-NOW walk, and the set-up of my sewing machine. As the night progressed, I watched two recently acquired movies. "Sum of All Fears" is a Tom Clancy movie and one of the only ones where I actually like Ben Affleck. It also has Morgan Freeman, Liev Schreiber, Ciaran Hinds, and Bridget Moynahan, all of whom are some of my favorites. Next in the lineup was "Basic," a twisted, turning tale of Army Rangers in Panama. John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson are the biggest names in that one; it also has Harry Connick Jr. and Taye Diggs, who wasn't huge at the time. (I saw this one in theaters first, and although it never got great reviews, I've always enjoyed it. Took a couple of watchings, though, to get the plot down.)

I cleaned, listened to the rain, read, flopped into bed to try and sleep, and then I started the whole process over again. The one thing I didn't do? Sit down and blog. Be thankful.

Suddenly, it was 5:30 and the sky was getting brighter. And I realized that Monday is going to be a difficult day.

Sometime around 6AM, I finally fell asleep. I woke up at some point to thunder (I think ... I'm pretty sure it was thunder), but aside from that I was out cold until after noon.

Oy.

Tomorrow is going to be screwy, but at least I can be relieved that I've been down this road before. I know what needs to happen so that I can be functional again come Monday morning.

For now, I enjoy my (sadly decaf) coffee and wonder how I could have spent so much time cleaning but still have such a messy apartment. Harumph.

Next weekend: another wedding adventure, #18 since May 2004. Woot.

Until next time, folks, have a good Saturday evening. Leave a note on your way out!

Comments

Stickman said…
you would think that an engineer could, well, engineer a way to sleep.
what a crock, huh. i could never do it either.
but then again, i'm a horrible engineer.

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review