Happy New Year!

It's a slow day at work (shockingly) so I've been cleaning off my desk and thinking about -- you guessed it -- the new year.

It's crazy. New Year's Eve through the years ...
2002 -- Went to my high school best friend's place for a reunion bonfire. Much fun was had by all.
2003 -- Went to the house of a good friend from college with my boyfriend at the time. It was couples plus Barb (which couldn't have been much fun for her, although she put her best face forward) and altogether a very quiet, nice night.

2004 -- Went to a party in Mitchell (one of the best house parties I've been to) with my (different) boyfriend. It was the first time I had met most of his friends ... They were pretty psyched to meet me, too. I was his first serious girlfriend in quite awhile, and a transplant to his crowd. Let me tell you -- an engineer is a bit of a mystery to thespians, and vice versa. A lot of fun, and a lot of really random stories came out of it.

2005 -- Rang in the New Year in the living room of the house of the camp cook from Storm, with several Storm friends and the same boyfriend. Another quiet night with great people and lots of fun (of course). [There are an incredible number of prepositional phrases in this paragraph.]

2006 -- At midnight, I was standing in the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis as Urbana ended. Lots of fun leading up to it, but it was rather anticlimactic: they shuffled us out to the buses at about 12:05.

2007 -- Tonight's plans are to hang out with the work crowd at Moonie's apartment. I anticipate a great deal of fun, with that odd awkward moment at midnight when I realize just how single I actually am.

I have to say, my life has gotten altogether more exciting since college. That's six different locations in three different states. Now I just need to work in a New Year's in New York and I'll be set.

Normally I don't like to follow holiday trends, but a new year is actually a great time for reflection and consideration of where you are and where you're going.

A year ago, I was a recent graduate living in my parents' basement with a couple job interviews ahead of me but no real idea of what would be available to me for the coming year.

Two months later, I was living in Wisconsin, a little disoriented and confused but hopeful. Thankfully, things have only improved since then and I'm learning to really enjoy where I am and what I'm doing.

A part of me wants 2008 to be just as exciting -- balanced by a part of me that says, "Exciting, sure, but let's stay put."

Like a lot of people, I have my goals. I know what I'd like to see next December 31st when I look back on the year. I don't think I'm going to share that here, but everything can be summed up fairly easily in one word: focus.

I lack it. I need to find it again.
Generally speaking, I have a shotgun approach to life. Just throw myself out there and hope that I land somewhere ... Sometimes it's more fun (like when I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing for a weekend) but sometimes it just plain doesn't work.

Have to be careful, though. When I focus too hard, I get scary. (Or so I'm told, given my "zeroed-in" look while playing soccer.) And there are some things that don't really require focus so much as a general openness to just let things happen.

Like moving to Wisconsin.
Anyway, I should get going. 2007, it's been grand -- but I think I'm ready for 2008.
Happy New Year, everybody!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review