Drive Time

It was an awesome weekend.

I headed home for Easter, leaving after work on Friday and returning Sunday afternoon/evening. Next time, I'm taking a day off. Pretty sure I only actually spent about 40 hours in the general Sioux Falls area. In that time, I managed to get caught up with Andy (late Friday/early Saturday -- it was good to see you, dude!), get caught up with a couple of family friends (hi, Jodee), see Blue Man Group (totally awesome), and get up really really early in the morning to bake roughly 180 cinnamon rolls.

By Monday morning, I was a little on the sleep deprived side.

My hours of driving gave me some time to think, though, which is always good. I thought you might enjoy some of the things I was pondering. For instance:

-High school is great to talk about, especially with people from my hometown who have gotten away. Nothing against the place, but I don't live there now and I don't intend to live there again. It has serious black hole tendencies, plus enough not-so-great memories to make nostalgia less ... well, nostalgic.

-How is it that you can drive through dozens of towns and not pick up a radio station that isn't country or really obscure oldies? There seems to be something wrong with that. It's enough to make me more seriously consider satellite radio. (Maybe if I were going to be spending more time on the road ...)

-The sunset loses some of its appeal when you're driving directly into it. That is, until the sun actually dips completely below the horizon -- then it's truly amazing.

-The stars rarely look as clear as when you're in the middle of nowhere in any flat state ... and really shouldn't stop to enjoy them. (Very sad.)

-It is almost always worth it to drive a couple of blocks into town to get gas. The prices will almost inevitably drop a nickel when you get away from the interstate.

-A drive goes by so much faster when you don't yet have the scenery memorized.

-Yep, those were bison. Fenced in fifty feet from the interstate. Wonder what would happen if they realized how insignificant that fence is compared to them?

-Diet Pepsi doesn't actually taste like regular Pepsi. Kind of like how generic soda doesn't taste like name-brand soda -- it's all in the sweetener.

-It doesn't matter where you're living. When you get back to it, there's relief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review